Tofu with Broccoli, Greens, and Cashews
Write a review
- 1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 plump cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced (can use crystallized ginger)
- 1 tablespoon crystallized orange peel, optional
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 handful broccoli florets
- 1 handful snow peas
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1 10-ounce can baby corns, optional
- 1/2 pound chard or spinach, triple washed and coarsely shredded
- 1 tablespoon oil (sesame, walnut or olive)
- 2/3 cup whole cashews, raw or roasted
- Mix tamari, lemon juice, wine, garlic, ginger, and orange peel in a bowl. Pour 1/3 of this mixture in a covered plastic container large enough to hold all the veg, except for spinach. Pour the remaining 2/3 into a container large enough to hold the tofu. Put the ingredients into their respective containers. Cover and flip to coat contents with the marinade. Leave on counter for several hours, flipping occasionally to coat.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Reserve the marinade from both containers. Stir-fry the tofu until golden and still soft. Add the veg and continue to stir-fry. When everything is tender-crisp, add the greens, cover and steam for 3 minutes. Add the cashews and reserved marinade and heat through. Serve immediately with a good rice and chopsticks.
- Remove the tofu from its container and discard the water that covers it. Rinse under cold water and pat dry to freshen. You can take this preparation in a different direction with hot red peppers and peanuts, leaving out the broccoli, corn, and cashews.
Adapted from Savory Palette Gourmet Retreats Rocky Mountain Retreats for Writers and Artists
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/