Rhubarb strawberry cornmeal crumble
Some pleasures are short-lived, but so very good that they are worth the wait. Snow bells. Girl Scout cookies. High tides. Rhubarb and strawberries.
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons sugar, more to taste (turbinado would be nice)
- 2 tablespoons flour (whole wheat pastry flour would be nice)
- generous pinch ground cloves
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup flour (whole wheat pastry flour would be nice)
- 1/3 cup sugar (turbinado would be nice)
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- stingy Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup plain, low-fat yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix sugar, flour and cloves in large bowl.
- Add strawberries and rhubarb. Toss to coat.
- Pour into a 10-inch glass pie dish.
- Wipe out the bowl and mix flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually add yogurt in bits, tossing with fork just until moist clumps form.
- Spoon topping evenly over filling.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Cook's tips and tricks: If you are a buttermilk kind of cook, you could sub 1/2 cup milk for the yogurt.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/