Write a review
- 1 cup sugar or 15 packets Splenda
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups coarsely chopped rhubarb, about a pound
- 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 scallions or 1 walking onion, finely chopped
- Set rhubarb, currants, and onions aside.
- Stir remaining ingredients into a heavy skillet.
- Bring slowly to a simmer-boil and cook, stirring, till sugar is dissolved.
- Add remaining fruit and veg.
- Cook over medium heat till rhubarb is tender, but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Store in fridge overnight to blend flavors.
- Bring to room temperature for about an hour before serving.
- Cook's tips and tricks: Sits nicely next to pork. Works wonders in a yoghurt and brown rice bread. Finds its way, wherever chutneys are known to lurk. Throw in a few strawberries or dried cherries for a shift in flavor and color.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/