Broccoli, Potato, Red Pepper, Cheddar Chowder
Singing in a chorus asks me to offer my best voice while blending in with a hundred or so others. And it's the blending in, the not outperforming, that is most satisfying Chowders are such a thing. Many different flavors and colors living together just long enough to stand as one.
Write a review
- 1 pound tiny broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound cubed russet potato
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 2 plump cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, preferably brown or black
- 1 generous tablespoon arrowroot or other thickening agent
- 3/4 cup table cream
- 6 ounces grated cheddar or other cheese of choice
- Blanch the prepared broccoli in salted, boiling water for about two minutes. Drain into a colander and run icy cold water over the veg to halt the cooking.
- Film a deep soup pot or Dutch oven with olive oil. Briskly sauté the potato and onion in the oil over medium-high flame till soft, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper and continue cooking another three minutes. Sprinkle dry mustard and arrowroot over the veg and cook another five minutes, stirring often.
- Barely cover with fresh water and simmer over medium-low flame till potatoes are soft, but short of mushy.
- Transfer about half of the cooked veg and its water to a blender and puree, taking care not to explode the top off with the heat.
- Return to the pot, add the cream and slowly heat through. Add the cheese and stir over low heat till melted. Cool a bit and serve with a gnarly bread and a fruit bowl.
- Cook's tips and tricks: Pureeing half the soup is not necessary, but it results in a different product. As soon as you turn on the blender, everything expands, so start with several pulses, then open the lid to let some of the steam escape.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/