Broccoli and Cauliflower Bake with Three Cheeses
Write a review
- 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch whisked into 1/2 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 plump cloves garlic, finely minced
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, rolled tightly and thinly sliced into curls
- salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 3-quart oven-proof baking dish.
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower to tender-crisp. Remove from heat and drain.
- Beat the eggs slightly in a deep bowl. Add ricotta and cheddar cheeses. Blend well. Add the cornstarch and milk; blend well. Gently fold in broccoli, cauliflower, onion, garlic, basil, salt and pepper.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, until somewhat bubbly. Toss bread crumbs, Parmesan, and butter together with a few grinds of fresh pepper. Sprinkle on top of the vegetables and continue to bake for 10 more minutes.
- Cook's tips and tricks: there is lots of wiggle room here. Different cheeses and fresh herbs of your choice work quite well. As long as there is a little egg to bind and a thickening agent, you'll be fine. Even without the bread crumb topping, if you like. I have even substituted white wine for half of the milk, and the result was intriguing.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/