Stonebridge Rhubarb Crumble
This recipe makes enough topping for a 9 x 13 pan but we don’t usually give enough rhubarb at one time to make the full recipe. Instead, I use half the topping with 4 cups of rhubarb (5-6 stalks) in an 8 x 8 pan and save the other half of the topping for the next rhubarb share OR I combine the rhubarb I have with strawberries to make 8 cups of fruit for use with the whole topping in a 9 x 13 pan. You can also use two 8 x 8 pans or two 9” pie plates for the full recipe.
Write a review
- 1/2 cups nuts (hazelnuts, pecans, or walnuts)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry or unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup brown or turbinado sugar for topping
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter
- 8 cups diced rhubarb (or rhubarb with diced strawberries)
- 1/2 cup brown or turbinado sugar for fruit
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TBL water
- 8 cups chopped rhubarb or rhubarb/strawberry pieces mixed
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly butter whatever pan/s or pie plates you’re using.
In food processor
- Lightly chop nuts.
- Add rolled oats, flour, and brown or turbinado sugar.
- Pulse a couple times to mix but don’t overdo.
- Add cold butter, cut in pieces first.
- Pulse until butter is in pea-sized pieces and distributed throughout.
- In a medium bowl, blend fruit with sugar.
- Place fruit in buttered 9 x 13 pan or two 8 x 8 pans or two 9” pie plates.
- Top with oatmeal mix.
- Bake 45-50 minutes at 375 until top is lightly browned.
- Cool 5-10 minutes and serve.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/