Spinach egg salad
I was digging around for a spinach prep and came across this on the Stonebridge website. I had forgotten all about it. I think this afternoon I will use the walking onion in place of the red. And the turnips in place of the water chestnuts for crunch.And some leftover roasted potato for half the egg. And with pine nuts costing a king's ransom, will sub some pecans.
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons "dirty" mustard
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup chutney, your choice
- 1/2 cup good mayonnaise
- 13 hard-cooked eggs, shelled and cut into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, coarsely chopped
- 12-14 ounces spinach, triple washed and chopped
- The day before, combine all ingredients, except for pine nuts and spinach.
- Taste for seasoning. Toast the pine nuts; cover tightly.
- Triple wash spinach, drain very well, and roll in a towel; refrigerate.
- The next day, just before supper, toss egg salad with spinach and pine nuts.
- Serve on lightly toasted birdseed bread with fruit on the side.
- We never tire of a friend in different clothes. Same-same for an egg salad. Sweet, spicy, or pungent. Try this one.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/