Spiced zucchini bread with apples, walnuts, and sesame seeds
Quadruple the recipe for freezing!
Write a review
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar, less if preferred
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded with skins on and drained
- 1 cup dried apple slices
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Cover the apples with cold water in a small bowl and set aside to soak and reconstitute.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add oil and sugar.
- Beat lightly till mixed well.
- Stir in the maple syrup and vanilla; mix well.
- Put the zucchini and apples in a colander and mash all remaining water out with your hands. Get it as dry as possible.
- Add the zucchini and apples to the egg mixture; blend well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flours, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt, chopped nuts, and sesame seeds.
- Add to the moist mixture. Blend well.
- Divide dough in half and pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, flip the pans to release the loaves, and cool on rack.
- Cook's tips and tricks: This is a sturdy dough that can stand up to some messing around. Substitute other dried fruits and nuts, experiment with spices, such as nutmeg and cardamom. Double the recipe during zucchini harvest time. Wrap the fully cooled loaves twice in plastic wrap, then in foil. Freeze up to three months.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/