Red Beet Chocolate Cake
Write a review
- 3/4c Flour, Unbleached, Sifted (I never sift)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½c sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c beets, pureed (I cook them on the stove until tender and then put in blender. Doesn’t matter what color.)
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate -melt and cool the chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, sifted (I don’t usually do this)
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, and oil in mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer set at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Beat in the beets, cooled chocolate, and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes (it always takes longer than this. More like 40 or so minutes at least), or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Cover and let stand overnight to improve flavor (I don’t wait this long and it is
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/