Lentil Spinach Medley
A warm, hearty dish for early spring or late fall when spinach is available.
Write a review
- 2 cups yellow lentils
- 1 cup diced walking onions (or any kind of onion, really)
- 2 cups torn spinach
- 1 can coconut milk
- Curry spices (you could use a pre-mixed variety or play with your own)
- Start 2 cups yellow lentils with 4.5 cups water in your rice cooker or pot on stove.
- When the lentils are almost cooked, sauté the sliced walking onions until golden (salting
- speeds the process).
- Lightly sauté some torn spinach with the softened onions.
- Add a can of coconut milk and various curry-type spices to taste.
- When the lentils are ready, add about half of them to the spinach mix until you get the consistency
- you want.
- Save the rest of the lentils for lentil burgers.
- Serve the lentil spinach medley in bowls with a whole-wheat tortilla or naan on the side.
- Walking onions are also called Egyptian onions. They flower on top and lean over to plant themselves, thus "walking" along the rows. They winter-over so are ready to harvest in the spring. If you don't want to let them walk, just pluck the top bulbs and re-plant them in fall.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/