Creamy lettuce and garlic scape soup
Lettuce isn't just for salads any more
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic scapes, end removed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot, cornstarch, or flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pint vegetable broth
- 2 heads soft lettuce , rinsed and chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add garlic scapes and cook till tender, about three minutes.
- Sprinkle with thickener and cook another 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add wine and cook another two minutes.
- Add broth, lettuce, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium low and simmer for five minutes, covered.
- Remove from heat.
- Add nutmeg and half-and-half.
- Use an immersion blender or stand blender to purée, leaving little bits. if desired.
- Chill and serve with a crusty bread.
- Cooks tips and tricks: For an even creamier soup, ad an extra splash of half-and-half just before serving. We have been too hungry to wait for a chill and have eaten it warm. Totally different, good taste.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/