Stonebridge Carob Zucchini Cake
This recipe has been in my family for years as chocolate zucchini cake but I substitute carob because I like that flavor. Either works great--just use cocoa powder instead of carob. See notes for cupcake baking time too.
Write a review
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter (if butter, soften to room temp first)
- 1/2 cup olive or other vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar (I use turbinado; cane would work too)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (can substitute yogurt or add 1 1/2 TBL lemon juice or vinegar to regular milk or use non-dairy milk)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 4 TBL carob powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts for topping
- 1 cup carob chips for topping
- Oil 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grate 1 very large or 2 medium zucchini to make 2 cups.
- Squeeze moisture out of the grated zucchini and set aside.
- Cream together margarine or butter, oil, and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in 2 eggs until blended.
- Add buttermilk or substitute and vanilla until blended.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, carob, baking powder, baking soda, salt) to the mix together and then fold in lightly; don't over beat.
- Gently stir in zucchini until evenly distributed.
- Spoon into oiled baking pan.
- Sprinkle walnuts and carob chips on top.
- Bake 45 minutes until middle springs back when pushed with your finger.
- Cool completely and enjoy.
- For cupcakes, fill 1/3 full and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Makes 30-36 cupcakes.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/