Rotkohl/German Red Cabbage
Make this two days ahead, refrigerate, and reheat for maximum flavor or make and serve the same day. A great vegan or paleo dish for fall and winter.
Write a review
- 1 medium head of red cabbage (about four cups sliced thinly and again crosswise for shorter pieces)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 apples, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups veggie broth (you can use red wine vinegar for a tangier flavor)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbl honey (sugar is okay too)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 juniper berries, whole
- n large pot, saute chopped onion until golden.
- Add apples and cabbage; cook 10 minutes until softened.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cook on stovetop at low temp for 1 1/2 hours until tender.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/