Kale sauce for pasta
John’s physician called her kale prize “health in a bag”. We agree! This prep comes together quickly and the result is rich.
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons good tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pound washed kale, leaves chiffonade (see notes below), stems coarsely chopped
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 pound cooked pasta, any shape, still warm
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat oil in the pot you cooked the pasta in over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and kale stems.
- Sauté for one minute.
- Add kale leaves and sauté and additional 2 minutes.
- Add beans and warm through.
- Add broth, salt, and pepper and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook till everything is blended and wilted, but not mushy.
- Add extra broth by the tablespoon, if needed.
- Sprinkle with the optional red pepper flakes.
- Return the cooked pasta to the pot and toss with the veg.
- Remove to a warm bowl and top with Parmesan.
- Cook’s tips and tricks: To make a chiffonade of kale, roll the leaves into a tube. Slice off itty bits, allowing the leaves to curl into ringlets.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/