Herbed lettuce sauce
When friends are coming for a terrace grill or a sun-room glass of wine with small plates, we make this sauce and pop it into the fridge to chill while we shower. It makes very simple foods seem so special. And they are. Yummy threaded on chilled poached salmon, circled on beefy tomato slices, or dotted on hard-cooked egg quarters.
Write a review
- 1 small head tender lettuce, trimmed and leaves torn
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 plump garlic clove, peeled and split
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon country-style mustard
- freshly squeezed Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 7 fresh parsley leaves
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- sea salt to taste
- generous amount of freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup good-tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- Place all ingredients up to the oil in a food processor fitted with metal S blade.
- Process until pebbly smooth.
- Very slowly, drizzle olive oil through the feeding tube with motor running.
- When totally smooth, taste for salt and pepper and adjust.
- Cover tightly and store in the fridge till ready to serve, up to two hours.
- Like pesto, this sauce wants to be fresh every time. It comes together so very quickly that cook will surely be willing.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/