Garlic lovers’ paste
When the garlic is plentiful, we whip up some of this tasty paste for the fridge. It happily launches marinades, sauces, dips, and savory spreads for sandwiches. You can also use chopped garlic scapes for a similar result.
Write a review
- cloves from 4 heads garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups light oil (soybean or canola)
- fresh juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons water
- Combine the garlic cloves and salt in a food processor. Purée until as smooth as possible. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse a few times.
- With the motor running, gradually add 3/4 cup of the oil, as slowly as possible to avoid separation. Scrape the sides of the bowl and pulse a few times.
- Slowly add 1/4 cup more of the oil with the motor running, allowing the paste to begin to set up.
- With the motor still running, gradually add the lemon juice. Things should become lighter in texture and color.
- Continue running the motor. Add 1/4 cup more of the oil in the same gradual stream, following with the water.
- Stream in the last 1/4 cup oil and whir until all is creamy and fluffy. If you prefer an even lighter fluff, add a few drops of oil at a time with the motor running.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few hours before using.
- The closer the container matches the amount of paste, the less air will come into contact with the product. It will be fine for 3-4 weeks and will change little in consistency and color.
Stonebridge Farm CSA http://stonebridgefarmcsa.com/